Caramel, Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Pecan cookies….YUM!
I had a craving for a cookie today. A warm, comforting, chocolate chip cookie. But, I wanted it to be… I don’t know…a little more “substantial” is the only word that comes to mind. My kids don’t usually like it when I get creative with chocolate chips cookies. I consider them both “chocolate chip purists” – if that’s a thing;)
But, my youngest is already back at Northeastern in Boston, and my oldest is getting ready to head back to the University of Oklahoma tomorrow… and I am a little sad. Oh Hell! Who am I kidding? I am A LOT SAD! What mom wouldn’t be sad when her kiddos leave and go so far away? I knew I needed to get to work on something creative before I started my own personal pity party.
So. Back to my chocolate chip craving.
As I was taking the chocolate chips from the pantry I saw the bag of Ghirardelli Caramel Chips I bought at Publix over the holidays. I had been meaning to try them in something. (If you didn’t read my last post -Flu – everything came to a halt – enough said.)
Hmmmm….how would caramel taste in a chocolate chip cookie? Let’s find out. What else goes with butter, chocolate chips and caramel….maybe nuts? Walnuts? Eh. Not feelin’ it. Pecans? Yes- Pecans go great with buttery cookies! (Didn’t Mrs. Fields have a pecan chocolate chip cookie? I think so.) I was still stuck on the “substantial” part until…oatmeal. Done -Caramel, Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Pecan Cookies. It’s a very basic recipe…but it was just what I needed. I’ve listed the recipe below so you can try them out for yourself and see what you think.
A final note. So, I mentioned my one of my chocolate chip purists was still home today. As I took the cookies off the cooling rack he said, “Can I have one?” “Of course. Let me know what you think.” He took a bite…and he said…and I quote…”This might be the best chocolate chip cookie I’ve ever had.” LOL! No way;) I hope you will give them a try and I your family will enjoy them.
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 Cups White Flour
- 2 Cups Whole Grain/Rolled Oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ Cup chopped pecans
- ½ Cup Semi Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
- ½ Cup Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- ½ Cup Ghirardelli Caramel Chips
- Combine 1 Cup (2 sticks) of room temperature butter, 1 Cup of white sugar and 1 Cup of light brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Add 2 eggs to the butter and sugars and mix well.
- Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and mix well.
- Add 2 Cups of white flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, ¾ teaspoon of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of salt and combine all ingredients well.
- Add the 2 Cups of oatmeal, ½ Cup of chopped pecans, ½ Cup of Semi Sweet chocolate chips, ½ Cup of bittersweet Chocolate chips, and ½ Cup of caramel chips and combine well, making sure everything is distributed fairly evenly.
- Place parchment paper on cookie sheet.
- Roll dough into balls approximately 1.5 inches - should be able to fit 12 on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Watch them as your oven may differ slightly. I like my cookies to be soft so I tend to take them out when they just start to turn golden brown.
- This makes approximately 3-4 dozen so feel free to freeze a dozen or two in freezer zip lock bags. Make sure to get as much of the air out of the bag as possible before sealing it. When you want to use them simply leave the cookies on a plate, covered with saran wrap, at room temperature for 30-60 minutes.